History of Practice
Joseph Lister (1827-1912)
Harlow was the first town in England where the concept of the health centre was put into practice in the 1950's. Originally they were mostly owed by a charitable trust (The Nuffield Trust) but at present are owed and maintained by: Harlow Health Centres Trust Ltd, The Latton Bush Centre, Southern Way, Harlow, Essex CM18 7BL. The administrator is Carol Sizeland http://www.hhct.org.uk.
At present there are nine health centres (ten practices) dotted around the town, seven of which are owned and maintained by Harlow Health Centres Trust. Lister House comprises of a medical centre, a separate dental practice and access to district nurses, health visitors, audiology clinics, speech therapists and an orthoptist.
Lister Medical Centre provides care for over 18,000 patients from a town population of roughly 83,000.
Apart from the doctors the staff comprises nurse practitioners, practice nurses, health care assistants, physiotherapists, a clinical psychologist, dietician, computer clerks, reception and office staff.
History of Lister House Medical Practice
Lister House practice was started by Dr. Frank Hayes on 1st September 1961 in a semi-detached house in Kingsland, Harlow. The practice has expanded into a ten doctor partnership during the following years.
The practice expanded very rapidly over a fourteen-year period during which in 1966, the partnership, occupied The Nuffield Trust purpose-built Health Centre, called Lister House. From 1962 expansion was rapid and uniform to 1970; the expansion decreased from 1970-1975; in 1976, the list size finally stabilised.
The premises was leased to the partnership. The building is located on the east side of the junction of Perry Road with Southern way, opposite St. James church and adjacent to the Staple Tye shopping area. Geographically, Lister House is situated in the south west sector of Harlow. The building is central to the practice area.
Doctors joining and leaving the practice